SCSSE & SISAT and Faculty office staff
can access their office desktop from home using
- SSH access to wraith.cs.uow.edu.au,
- Email username
- Windows username and password,
- A member of the "Remote Desktop Users" or "Administrators"
on your desktop computer,
- Know the name of your desktop computer, and
- A high speed internet connection, i.e. ADSL
Identifying the Name of Your Office
Log on to your office desktop
computer and watch the first part of this
- Start -> Right click "My Computer" -> select "Properties" -> select
the "Computer Name" tab, then look for the "Full computer name."
Am I a member of the appropriate local groups?
All academic staff are a member
of the local administrators group on their desktop
only, and thus are able to remote desktop to their
Admin staff need to be a member
of the "Remote Desktop Users" before remote
desktop is possible. Here's how you can tell,
Start -> run ->
Type:cmd -> OK
- In the black window at the prompt type the following,
then press Enter:
net localgroup "Remote
In the members output your username will be listed
if you are a member of the Remote Desktop Users group.
How to Remote Desktop from Home
Simply download the Windows
Remote Desktop Kit (requires your Windows Desktop
username and password, same credentials required for
Windows computer labs). View this video
tutorial for a demo. Note: When asked
for your "Office machine name:" you can use either
its IP address (130.130.xx.xx) or Computer name
Testing it before you go home
To test whether remote desktop access
will work for you before you go home, try it in one of
the windows labs in Building 3 or Building 17.